The Casual Reporter: The Code of the West Revealed

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

The Code of the West Revealed

France has many wonderful qualities including a temperate climate, good food, and affordable health care, but last night I was commiserating with a French colleague on a perceived attitude difference between the French and Americans. Many have observed that Americans seem more likely than the French to accept responsibility for their mistakes, consider errors as learning opportunities, and graciously forgive others for mistakes made. Of course this is far from universal; I know plenty from both cultures who do not fit the profiles above (including a French performer who just the other night winged a Medicine Ball as hard as he could from half-way up the Blue Moon Ranch and accidentally beaned me in the head, nearly knocking me over, then subsequently claimed responsibility and apologized sincerely) but this seems to be more or less a fair generalization. For those who wish to better understand the gist of the stereotypical American attitude towards social responsibility, I offer the following from a guy named Jim Boyd who I don't know. I pasted this from an email I recently received from an American friend.

The Code of the West

1. Live each day with courage
2. Take pride in your work
3. Always finish what you start
4. Do what has to be done
5. Be tough, Be fair
6. When you make a promise, Keep it
7. Ride for the brand
8. Talk less and Say more
9. Know where to draw the line
10.Remember that some things aren't for sale

No comments:

Post a Comment

I don't publish comments I feel are inappropriate, but since they filter through my email first, feel free to say whatever's on your mind. I enjoy the interaction.